The Raw Feed
Where technology and culture collide

Friday, September 04, 2009

What lippies want

Don't look now, but the location-independent movement is growing. Technology gives us the power to work wherever we please, and travel while still making a living. More people are embracing the digital nomad, extreme telecommuter, location independent lifestyle every day.

It's time that hardware, software and Internet companies notice this rising movement, and start offering products that take this lifestyle to the next level.

Here's my list of the things we want from the industry, but that the industry has yet to provide. All are based on current technologies. I'm going to keep, maintain and occasionally discuss this list until we get what we want. But I need your help in three ways. 1) Please tell me what I missed; 2) let me know if a product on the list already exists; and 3) advocate the development of these products on your own blog, Twitter feed and in communication with the companies that can do it.

OK, here's what lippies want.

Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
I decent list. I think that satellite communications is dead and going nowhere (ask Motorola)...but, good news is that WIFI is becoming ubiquitous.

I do have a problem with your basic premise. I love the idea of the digital nomad, but I can't help but to believe that we are talking about 2% of the population max. Most people still need to run coffee shops, sell houses, drive busses, and teach school. Few can or will ever have the opportunity to travel the world and make a living writing - like you.

Because of this, I'm not sure that the products you want will be demanded in the market.

Friday, September 04, 2009 10:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"while stilling making a living"? Wow, Mike! Guess that's why you make the big bucks writing?

Monday, September 07, 2009 9:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Like The Raw Feed? Then you'll LOVE the FREE Mike's List newsletter!