The Raw Feed
Where technology and culture collide

Monday, November 16, 2009

I need your input. Should I change The Raw Feed?

Years before the marketing geniuses coopted the word "lifestreaming," I created The Raw Feed blog to be exactly that -- a repository of all the interesting things I found online, and also ideas that I was working on. My intent was to create a breeding ground, and to get input on, a wide-ranging set of ideas for my columns and newsletter. That's why I called it "The Raw Feed." It was a feed of raw, half-baked, sometimes ill-advised notions that could develop into full-blown, ready-for-prime time articles.

Over the years, however, it has evolved into a publication, of sorts, and one with a hell of a lot of readers: 230,000 unique visitors per month.

Meanwhile, I'm publishing "stuff" all over the place, on Twitter, on my other blogs, Facebook and elsewhere. Recently, I've created a "lifestream" on Posterous, which includes all Raw Feed posts, plus all the other stuff I post, wherever I post it. Everything I post anywhere is also posted on my Posterous lifestream.

The Raw Feed tends to be mostly about technology, and most of my other posts are also about technology, but I'm more likely elsewhere to stray into cultural content, health, politics, Hollywood, etc. Plus, of course, Twitter posts tend to be more of the "here's a link" variety, while most Raw Feed items have a point of view.

Of all the things I publish, The Raw Feed is the most important to me, personally. Sometimes I worry that my Posterous page is "better" than The Raw Feed. After all, it contains all The Raw Feed content, plus a lot of other stuff.

Is more better? Or is less better?

One option I've been toying with is to publish all the stuff I publish on my Posterous page here on The Raw Feed. Doing so would bring the blog back in line with its original intent. However, it would change the feel and the quantity of content.

I can't decide. So I'm going to leave it up to you to decide. I've set up a poll, where you can vote. So what's it going to be? Keep The Raw Feed as-is? Or turn on the firehose?

VOTE HERE!

Comments:

Blogger Michael Fox said...

The internet is filled with interesting things. Very few of those things are worth saying. The Raw Feed has always been filled with things worth saying. That is why I have followed it for years. That is what has set it apart from the rest of the internet, including your other feeds.

Monday, November 16, 2009 3:23:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've always enjoyed the minimalist approach to the Raw Feed and clicking out from it. So I prefer the keep it it simple approach. Thanks so much for all efforts.

Monday, November 16, 2009 3:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Phill Grove said...

Long time follower here. I receive this via MyYahoo home page. My general advice is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You have a loyal following that expects to see a certain type of content on this feed. If you embellish it, change it, tweak it, etc. you risk losing a good thing. Think about restaurants that add to their menu and change the customer experience. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a disaster. Their are plenty of alternatives - it's always much cheaper to keep an existing customer than to create a new one.

Monday, November 16, 2009 4:09:00 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

The Raw Feed has been one of my favorite sites to visit regularly for years now. It contains just enough content to not overload me with information and enlightens me to a lot of neat things happening out there. I would miss is sorely if it were gone. I haven't seen your other sites. I spend too much time on the net already.

Monday, November 16, 2009 4:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about a trial period with more stuff? See how that turns out?

Monday, November 16, 2009 6:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a line from a old song....."Stay As Sweet As You Are." In other words, don't change

Monday, November 16, 2009 8:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe a beta experiance, so users can revert to the old one? and then see what feedback you get?

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you said your other site has all of The Raw Feed posts already. Why not just leave this site the way it is and include info/links to your other site prominently on the top of this site.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Mick from Melbourne said...

Keep it simple, keep it raw
Keeps me reading, keeps me coming back for more.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen's Raw said...

I love it the way it is, but I'm always open for change.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:36:00 PM  
Blogger Isaac said...

Taking a quick peek at your lifestream site leads me to like the content you have on there. The posts have a similar feel to The Raw Feed. With that said, I refuse to click on any shortened URL link. I trust that I will not be sent to a less than scrupulous site, BUT I don't know where I will be sent.

I agree with the suggestion of a trial basis. Lets see how it works out.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Like The Raw Feed? Then you'll LOVE the FREE Mike's List newsletter!